Wo'soso/Upper Cut Meat Community History

This information was taken from the following sources: The Sioux of the Rosebud: A History in Pictures, Photographs by John A. Anderson by Henry W. Hamilton and Jean Tyree Hamilton; Map accompanying the Rosebud Indian Reservation Annual Report, 1885.

Churches: In 1885 there was an Episcopal Church located in what is now Parmelee that ministered to this area as well. Today there is an abandoned Catholic Church near highway 18.


Families: Lost His Blanket, Good Soldier, Hollow Horn Bear, He Dog, Little Crow, Brave Dog, White Black Bird, Hunts Horses, Running Horse, Dirt Eater, Lays on his Belly, Black Bird, Little Wound, Shot in the Face, Black Ring, and Charging Enemy camped along the creek in this area in 1885.

Issue Station: The issue station was located along Cut Meat Creek near present day Parmelee, SD.

Location: Upper Cut Meat Community is along SD Highway 18 west of Mission. In 1885 this was along the southern boundary between Farm District No. II and III.

Origins: Wo'soso (meat cut into stips) was the name given to the early farm district issue station because it identified the place where beef issues were slaughtered. It is also the name of a creek running through the area. The initial Farm Disctrict included Parmelee, Lower Cut Meat, Upper Cut Meat, He Dog, Salt Camp and Ironwood.


This Page Sponsored by: