Cangleska Wakinyan Tawicoti/Ring Thunder Community History

This information was taken from the following sources: Lakota Archives and Historical Reserch Center Rosebud Sioux Tribe Sites Project, Prepared with a FY 93 Historic Preservation Fund Grant from the National Park Service, 1995. Trails and Forts: History of Exploration and Settlement by Milo Koskan, 2005.

Churches: Catholic Church.

Buildings: Ring Thunder had a dance hall, a big long shack with stoves to heat it and cook on. A postoffice was established in 1923 in Sec. 22, T40N, R30W. In 1924 the postoffice moved to Sec. 23 and in 1929 it was discontinued. Mail now goes to White River.

Families: In 1885 the following families were living in the Ring Thunder area: Spotted Tail, Runs on the Lead, White Lance, Blue Blanket, Eagle Elk, Bone Shirt, Ring Thunder, Windy Horse, and Red Woman. Today some of the families living at Ring Thunder are Larvie, Blue Thunder, .

Issue Station: Ring Thunder did not have an issue station or Boss Farmer, people had to travel to Rosebud to conduct business.

Location: Ring Thunder is located north of Rosebud in Todd County. In 1885 this camp location was in Farm District No. III.

Origins: Ring Thunder Community is named after Chief Ring Thunder a Sicangu leader born in 1841 who married Look At Her.


This Page Sponsored by: