Parmelee Community History

This information was taken from the following sources: Lakota Archives and Historical Research Center Rosebud Sioux Tribe Sites Project, Prepared with a FY 93 Historic Preservation Fund Grant from the National Park Service, 1995; Bennett-Mellette-Todd Counties, SD County Wide Directory: 15th Anniversary Issue, Larchwood, IA: County-Wide Directory L.L.C.; Trails and Forts: History of Exploration and Settlement by Milo Koskan, 2005;Map accompanying the Rosebud Indian Reservation Annual Report, 1885.

Churches: Holy Innocents Episcopal, St. Marks Catholic.

Buildings: A Day school, nurses station, and a dance hall known as "Red Hall" (located on the creek below Parmelee) were constructed. Red Hall was built of lumber and tin and was about 60 feet by 40 feet. It could hold approximately 100 people. A postoffice named "Cutmeat" was established in 1907 in Sec. 30, T39N, R31W. In 1916 the postoffice was renamed "Wososo" and in 1921 the name was changed to "Parmelee." The Parmelee postoffice remains open today.

Families: Broken Leg, Medicine, Black Star, Little Dog, Under Water, Leader Charge, Black Crow, Neck, Young, Murray. The following names are found on the 1885 map: High Hawk, Joe Good, Baptiste Good, Kettle, One Butte, Yellow Horse Eagle Man Charging Hawk, Shell, Good Shield, Tall White Man, Bald Eagle, Four Horns, Medicine, Burning Breast, Charging Cat, Star Boy, Black Crow's Widow, Holy Bear, Fast Dog, Bull Hide, Eagle Road, Broken Leg, Old Saucey Indian, Ragged, Leader, Twice, Grey Eagle Tail, Yellow Shield, Bull Hide, Turning Eagle, Roll Off, Moccasin, Yellow Robe, and Duck.

Issue Station: The issue station was on Cut Meat Creek.

Location: Parmelee is in northwestern Todd County in Township 39N, Range 31W (section 30) & 32W (section 25). This was part of Farm District No. I in 1885.

Origins: The community was first called Wososo Wakpa or Cut Meat Farm District and included Parmelee, Lower Cut Meat, Upper Cut Meat, He Dog, Salt Camp and Ironwood. In the 1920s the town was renamed in honor of Mr. Parmelee who had built a clothing and grocery store in the community.


This Page Sponsored by: