Little Crow's Camp History

This information was taken from the following sources: Lakota Archives and Historical Research Center Rosebud Sioux Tribe Sites Project, Prepared with a FY 93 Historic Preservation Fund Grant from the National Park Service, 1995; Bennett-Mellette-Todd Counties, SD County Wide Directory: 15th Anniversary Issue, Larchwood, IA: County-Wide Directory L.L.C.; Before Homesteads in Tripp County and the Rosebud by Gladys Whitehorn Jorgensen. Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, 1907 Statistics of Indian Tribes, Indian Agencies, and Indian Schools of Every Character compilied under the direction of the Secretary of the Interior, Washington: Government Printing Office, 1899 Trails and Forts: History of Exploration and Settlement by Milo Koskan, 2005.

Churches: Advent Church. Albert LaPointe was the priest who ran the Young People's Fellowship at the Episcopal Church. The Episcopal Cemetery is located at Mosher.

Buildings: Day School (discontinued in 1935). Capacity 40; Located 40 miles northeast of agency; Schoolroom and teacher's residence; 1 story frame building $2,000; No school land. Yellow Fox dance hall, a round log building, was north of Mosher. A postoffice was established in 1930 in Mosher and operated until 1974 when the mail service was transferred to Winner.

Families: Chief Little Crow, Yellow Fox, Rattling Shield/Ringing Shield, Williams, No Heart, Afraid of Bear, Black Bonnet, Medicine Eagle, White Hawk, Fast Horse, Two Nation, Denoyer, Iron Heart, LaPointe. In 1885 the following families were in Milk's camp on Whetstone Creek along the Missouri River: Chas. Miller, John Scissons, Leon Conoyer, Jones, McKenzie, Milk, Google Eyes, and Yellow Breast plus 16 unidentified families.

Issue Station:

Location: Near Mosher in southeast Mellette County (south of Mosher near Carter). Little Crow's Camp was combined with O'Kreek during Tom Whiting's term as Tribal Chairman (1930s).

Origins: Chief Little Crow was from the Loafer Band and was born at Fort Laramie about 1851, he died at his home in 1924.


This Page Sponsored by: