Wagmiza Wakpala/Corn Creek History

This information was taken from the following sources: Rosebud Agency Population List, 1956; Map accompanying the Rosebud Indian Reservation Annual Report, 1885; Trails and Forts: History of Exploration and Settlement by Milo Koskan, 2005.

Churches: Episcopal - St. Thomas. The 80-year-old St. Thomas Episcopa Church burned to the ground at Corn Creek north of Norris Monday evening, Jan. 25, after a fire started from a faulty chimney. Most of the contents of the building were saved by the crowd that gathered, except for the altar and organ. (Rosebud Sioux Herald, 1 February 1971)

Buildings: Corn Creek had a Day School and a Cannery. In 1909 a postoffice was established in Norris which continues to serve the communities of Black Pipe and Corn Creek.

Families: Frank Sleeping Bear, Asa Long Warrior, William Red Fish, Dave Gerry, Noah White Feather, Ralph Big Owl, Eunice Quick Bear, Casey Williams, Dave Little Brave, Joseph Medicine Blanket, Alex Dog Eye, Norris Quick Bear, Helen New Holy, William Runs Close, and Jennie Leading Cloud. In 1885 the following families lived in this area: The Chief, Medicine Man, Black Bear, Eagle Hawk, Herman, White Around the Head, Long Warrior, Long Bear, Low Bull, White Elk, His Lance, Runs Close to Village, Takes the Gut, Two Rumps, Iron Wing, Horned Antelope, Yellow Thigh, Shoot at Him, Forgetful, Attacking, Turtle Ribs, Red Wooden Ring, Quiver, White Buffalo Creek, East Whirlwind, Cut, Packing, Breast, Crier, Lips, Shortbull, R.W. Ring, Red Dog Creek, Red Horn, Yellow, Runs Forward, Looking White, Brush, Goes to War, and Packs the Skunk.

Issue Station: The issue station was located at Norris.

Location: Corn Creek is at the intersection of State Highways 44 and 63 in western Mellette County in what was originally Farm District No. II. In the early reservation days Corn Creek was part of Black Pipe District.

Origins: This community is named after Corn Creek the location of their initial camp area.


This Page Sponsored by: