Tatanka Wakpala/Bull Creek History

This information was taken from Lakota Archives and Historical Reserch Center Rosebud Sioux Tribe Sites Project, Prepared with a FY 93 Historic Preservation Fund Grant from the National Park Service, 1995; Before Homesteads: In Tripp County and the the Rosebud by Gladys Whitehorn Jorgensen.

Churches: Mni Ska (White River) was Presbyterian. Native preachers included Ed flying Hawk of Lake Andes and George Fire Cloud from Santee or Sisseton. Services at Our Saviour Episcopal Mission, part of Lower Brule Episcopal Mission, were held at the Day School or in people homes until it was discontinued in 1947. The Catholic Church also had a congregation at Bull Creek.

Council Representatives: Alvin Blacksmith, Bill Long Crow, Moses Eagle Star, Kenneth Long Crow

Buildings: A dance hall was located along Bull Creek about one mile south of the buffalo cave on the east side of the creek. It was about two miles east of the Long Crow's home. The settlement grew up south and east of the Issue Station along Bull Creek. A day school existed from the late 1890s to 1917.

Families: About twenty families came from Lower Brule led by Chief Medicine Bull. After being sent back to Lower Brule several time by the Rosebud Indian Police they were allowed to stay in 1896. They were the Paha Tanka Oyate who lived by the Buffalo Butte. In 1907 they were awarded allottments and incorporated into Rosebud Agency. Kills Omaha, Good Eagle, Hawk Track, Useful Heart, Long Crow, Black Smith, Tail Crows, Eagle Star, Collins, Fire Cloud, Red Leaf, Crooked Foot, Gould, Eagle Hawk, Red Water, Stinking Thigh, From Above, Pretty Voice, Grass Rope, White Lark, Lever, Big Misouri, Arrow, Wright, High Dog, Gassman, Jumping Up, and LaPointe. Many families lived at or near Dixon until the 1960s when they moved to new tribal housing. Later they moved to Gregory and elsewhere.

Issue Station: The Big White River issue station was located along Bull Creek before it was moved to Hamill, SD in 1913 the year beef issues ceased. The Issue Station gave out rations every Monday. people could work so many hours and get a full ration of bacon, beans, and coffee. Elmer Reed was the Subagent in the 1930s-1940s.

Location: The northern half of Tripp County and the southeastern portion of Lyman County that is south of the White River. In 1885 this was part of Farming District No. IV. Pte Hinepiyapi is Buffalo Buttes. It means Make the Buffalo Come Out. The Buffalo Cave is in the hills near Dixon. Long ago the buffalo ran out of sight. The people followed and when they got up where the animals had disapperared, they found that the buffalo had run in the cave. Sitting like a triangle below the Buffalo Cave are Rock Boy Park, the Bull Creek Powwow Gounds, and the Collins Powwow Grounds. Up until the 1970s big powwows were held at Bull Creek. By the 1980s Bull Creek no longer existed as a Community.

Origins: Bull Creek is named for the creek which the people camped along when they came to the reservation. The creek originates in central southern Lyman County and runs south into Tripp and Gregory Counties where it runs a couple of miles west of Dixon as it runs south in Gregory County.


This Page Sponsored by: